[mythtv-users] Network speed.

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Mon May 30 03:40:38 UTC 2005

On 5/29/05, Mathew Mrosko <mythtv at matmrosko.com> wrote:
> I have a question about a network setup issue.  My uncle is building a new
> house, and I'll be setting up a nice myth setup for him.  I have a Cisco 1900
> series 24 port switch.  The switch has 24 10Mbit ports and 1 100 Mbit port.
> I'm just wondering if the 10 Mbit speed would be enough to run 3 or 4
> frontends if the backend was on the 100 Mbit port.  I know straight number
> wise, since 10 Mbit is fast enough, that you should be able to put 10 ports
> against the 1 100 Mbit one, but if there's one thing i've learned in 5 years
> as a CS major, it's that the numbers in computing (especially when talking
> about the retail side of things) are skewed in favor of looking better than
> it is...
>
> -Mat Mrosko

As far as wireless networks go, I've heard it said that you shouldn't
even try to run Myth on an 802.11b network, which should be about
11Mb. This would seem to indicate that the 1900 would not be powerful
enough. However, with the wireless, you probably wouldn't get a full
11Mbps, so I would say give the 1900 a shot. If it doesn't work, pick
up a Linksys or some other cheap FastEthernet switch. If you need 24
ports, they usually go for about a hundred bucks or less. If you don't
really need that many ports, you should be able to get one much
cheaper.
--Garry