[mythtv-users] Network speed.

Mathew Mrosko mythtv at matmrosko.com
Mon May 30 03:34:09 UTC 2005

I have a question about a network setup issue.  My uncle is building a new
house, and I'll be setting up a nice myth setup for him.  I have a Cisco 1900
series 24 port switch.  The switch has 24 10Mbit ports and 1 100 Mbit port.
I'm just wondering if the 10 Mbit speed would be enough to run 3 or 4
frontends if the backend was on the 100 Mbit port.  I know straight number
wise, since 10 Mbit is fast enough, that you should be able to put 10 ports
against the 1 100 Mbit one, but if there's one thing i've learned in 5 years
as a CS major, it's that the numbers in computing (especially when talking
about the retail side of things) are skewed in favor of looking better than
it is...

-Mat Mrosko

--
mythtv [at] matmrosko [dot] com