[mythtv-users] Xmame - .95 again not working???

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:04:15 UTC 2005

On 5/29/05, Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/29/05, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just did a full re-install of Myth 0.18 and evertything seems to be
> > working that I've tested except Xmame .95??? All I get is the error
> > "This version is not supported".

Unfortunately, the commandline options for xmame seem to completely
change just about every six months. Since mythtv provides a GUI for
xmame config options, it's a constant battle to keep the code updated
so that it works with the latest xmame.

Here's what I do:

I stick with a working xmame and don't upgrade it. I'm still using
0.87 and it works fine. Newer versions might work too (I'd expect at
least up to 0.92 to work), but apparently 0.95 doesn't.

What can be done to solve this issue of new versions of xmame not
working with mythtv?

- mythgame could be changed to have fewer config options for xmame,
and just let users pass a string of flags to the binary.

- a mythtv developer could join xmame development and complain loudly
about the lack of consistency in the command line options

Hope that helps.

-Ross