[mythtv-users] Re: Yum versus apt

mogens lunde acer at mogenslunde.dk
Sun May 29 10:46:23 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:46:49AM +0200, mogens lunde wrote:
>
>>I will now atempt my 7th reinstall of FC3 + Mythtv, and hope for success
>>this time ;-) The last times I have not had luck with apt, as some of
>>the program for example ivtv were not available using apt-get install.
>

> Could you explain that further? Did you use
>
>       apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r` ivtv
>
> after having upgraded your kernel to the latest errata available from
> RH (and booted into it)?

I really have followed Jarods description exactly (copy/paste
instructions), but basically not much could be done wrong from
installing the four CD's untill starting the apt-get update etc. I did
of course also the last time install the latest kernel, but when trying
this:
# apt-get install ivtv-firmware
# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
# apt-get install ivtv

each package returned this error: Couldn't find package xxxxxx
(Did of course define $KVER properly)

This really should not happen, and I swear I have not deviated one mm
from Jarods description. Anyway installation succeeded with yum, but now
I get static/snow from the tuner after a reboot (worked before the reboot)

When I hopefully get this to work again I obviously need a backup
program, so that I can go back to a working mythtv. I have now two times
experienced that a simple apt-get dist-upgrade destroyed my working
tuner output.

Mogens