[mythtv-users] Re: Yum versus apt

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun May 29 10:08:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:46:49AM +0200, mogens lunde wrote:
> I will now atempt my 7th reinstall of FC3 + Mythtv, and hope for success
> this time ;-) The last times I have not had luck with apt, as some of
> the program for example ivtv were not available using apt-get install.

Could you explain that further? Did you use

      apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r` ivtv

after having upgraded your kernel to the latest errata available from
RH (and booted into it)?

> So till now I have used a mix of apt and yum. Probably this could
> explain my problems.

No, apt/yum/up2date/smart *can* be used in a mixed fashion. They are
only deciding what to download and install. Of course one of them is
enough to eat your system. :)

> I can see that Jarod Wilson is now recomending to use yum. What is
> not clear to me howver, is whether I wold still have to get Axel
> Thimm's ATrpms-kickstart, or I should just proceed with "yum
> upgrade" after having installed FC3?

atrpms-kickstart is only paving your path to get a proper config for
both apt and yum. So you can use atrpms-kickstart and continue with
yum.

Or you can manually adjust your yum.conf to point to atrpms.

Please note, that if yum does not work at any given point in time, you
will have to check with apt before reporting. apt is still the
recommended depsolver on non-multilib systems.

I believe that if you follow Jarod's guide to the letter nothing can
realy go wrong.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net