[mythtv-users] Widescreen and SVideo settings

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:15:52 UTC 2005

Bumping to the top...

Does anyone have any guidelines or is anyone using a primary widescreen
output while also outputting svideo? I want to be able to watch the primary
widescreen display most of the time, but still be able to watch the svideo
output on the bedroom TV. I don't need to do both simultaneously so I'm not
really considering a second mythtv FE.

Problems I have:
1. Using nvidia twinview, I can get both displays working, but I have to use
"clone" mode and this puts the svideo window in the center of the widescreen
view like so (hope this turns out):

<-----------864 x 480----------->
=====------------------------====
= | | =
= |<-------640x480------>| =
= | | =
=====------------------------====

2. I can't get twinview to shift the center window (640x480) to the left, so
on the TV display, the right half is cut off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

On 5/16/05, Paul Leppert <phlepper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Does the NVidia driver tools support overscan adjustment? - this is
> > likely to help get the picture more centred on the display.
> >
> > Nick
> >

> Is it possible to adjust the overscan for the svideo only? Do the
> nvidia driver tools end up showing me two monitors (TV versus my VGA)?
> I'll have to try that when I get home. I have previously adjusted
> the overscan on the monitor with xvidtune, but that gives me a
> modeline. I didn't enter a modeline for the svideo, I'm just using
> the standard 640x480.
>
> Also, has anyone had any luck using offsets with twinview? From the
> nvidia readme:
>
> Optionally, mode names can be followed by offset information
> to control the positioning of the display devices within the
> virtual screen space; e.g.:
>
> "1600x1200 +0+0, 1024x768 +1600+0; ..."
>
> Offset descriptions follow the conventions used in the X
> "-geometry" command line option; i.e. both positive and negative
> offsets are valid, though negative offsets are only allowed when
> a virtual screen size is explicitly given in the X config file.
>
> So, can I use a mode value that would look something like:
>
> "864x480, 600x480 -132+0"
>
> Which should move the second display (the smaller svideo screen) to
> the left half of the difference of the 864 (assuming the driver puts
> the smaller screen in the center of the bigger one in "clone" mode).
>
> I think I'm pretty close, just some more tweaking...
>
> Thanks,
> phlepper
> --
> I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. --
Confucius