[mythtv-users] Can't connect to master backend server

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun May 15 15:33:02 UTC 2005

I;ve been running KnoppMyth R3 for quite some time now, and it's mostly
been great. There were a few minor issues, that as long as I kept a close
eye on it were OK.

Well yesterday I came home to find that it had wiped out all 500G of my
recordings. I'm pretty certain i know what hapened, but in any case I
decide this was an oportune time to upgrade.

However the R5 prerlease auto upgrade failed because I had my root partion
on /dev/hda2 (instead of the expected /dev/hda2). So, I decide to
reinstall.

And that's where I need some help. The upgraded seemd to go OK, but I can't
seem to get things working. Presently if I go to "watch TV" I just get
about 10 seconds of black, and the it goes back to the man menu. If I cat
from /dev/vide0 or /dev/vide1, I cna play the resultign file with mplayer.

If I go to "schedule recordings" I get a mesage about "Can't connect to
master backend server", and then the schedule pops up. But when I try to
schedule somethign, I get that message again.

I've tried putting both "127.0.0.1" and the machine's name in both the IP
address filed, and the master backend filed in mythtv-setup.

Can someone sugest where I should start looking? I've got to go out of town
shortly, and my SO is _very_ unhappy that Myth is not working :-(

Thanks for any sugestions.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967