[mythtv-users] Stability of ATrpms (was: mythRecipe)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 26 08:16:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:58:05PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
> Regarding your question about Axel (atrpms):
> In my opinion atrpms should be handled with care. If used incorrectly -
> it may blow up your system.

Not if you use at-stable which is the default setting.

> Some of the stuff that is there is much more
> complete than it is from the base/update repositories, and a lot more
> bleeding edge. Not unstable - just newer.

Not if you use at-stable which is the default setting. ;)

> So it is possible to paint yourself into a corner revision wise.
> My philosophy is: never use yum update while atrpms is active. Only
> download what you need.

Then you are left with broken dependencies.

> An example is the Alsa system. If you use yum update the Alsa system
> will be useless afterwards. Simply because the FC3 rpms for Alsa are
> brainless. So you end up with atrpms Alsa system except for the
> alsalib which will remain the old one. DUH - they are not
> compatible.

If you download selectively you are left with broken dependencies.
That kind of caution is just doing the damage you are trying to avoid.

Also using yum is known to munge your system. The recommended
depsolver is apt (and smart for x86_64/i386 multilib systems)

> So you can get all the neat stuff from atrpms. But do not disconnect
> your brain. It does require supervision.
> That is why I maintain internal caches of outside repositories. It makes
> it faster to wipe the system and get it back up again.

ATrpms' at-stable section has been just that, stable. Even if
mythtv-suite sometimes has bad dependencies ...

If you use the "bleeding" section, then all you get is what you asked
fro ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net