[mythtv-users] mythRecipe

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 26 00:58:05 UTC 2005

Patrick de Brabander [mythtv] wrote:

> Just wondering. Has somebody installed this on a fedora system.
> i've some problems compiling on my system.

Yes I compiled it from scratch, but only the prerelease version (which I
am still running) and I prepared rpms of it as well. So it can be done :-)
HOWEVER..........
It was not a trivial compile.
Search the archives for "Call for testers of release-0-18-fixes branch",
then you will get the whole story.
A number of rpms must be installed to satisfy the build. Use
<http://rpm.pbone.net/> to search for stuff you cant find.
Most noticable is that the mythtranscode code actually needs stuff from
FC2 (not sure but I think it was the one that did)
Also MythTV needs the .rpmrc to be set up. I never used that before, but
I see why they did it. Some of it should be split up though because it
really belongs in the spec file.
But after all this... then it compiled with no problems.

> # make
> cd mythModule && make -f Makefile
> make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/temp/mythextra/mythrecipe/mythModule'
> make[1]: *** Geen regel voor aanmaken doel
> `/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf', nodig voor `Makefile'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/temp/mythextra/mythrecipe/mythModule'
> make: *** [sub-mythModule] Fout 2

qmake is part of the qt system. make sure it is nstalled and updated.

Regarding your question about Axel (atrpms):
In my opinion atrpms should be handled with care. If used incorrectly -
it may blow up your system. Some of the stuff that is there is much more
complete than it is from the base/update repositories, and a lot more
bleeding edge. Not unstable - just newer.
So it is possible to paint yourself into a corner revision wise.
My philosophy is: never use yum update while atrpms is active. Only
download what you need.
An example is the Alsa system. If you use yum update the Alsa system
will be useless afterwards. Simply because the FC3 rpms for Alsa are
brainless. So you end up with atrpms Alsa system except for the alsalib
which will remain the old one. DUH - they are not compatible.
So you can get all the neat stuff from atrpms. But do not disconnect
your brain. It does require supervision.
That is why I maintain internal caches of outside repositories. It makes
it faster to wipe the system and get it back up again.

Karsten