[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed May 25 22:00:05 UTC 2005

Josh Burks wrote:
> On 5/25/05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix at lloydnet.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>i've also heard many people that are big into the high-end home theatre
>>stuff bash Best Buy and Circuit City as places to purchase componants,
>>cables, etc ... anyone know why?  is it because BB pushes Monster cables
>>on anyone that comes in?  other reasons?  just curious! :)
>>

> I don't know why either. I purchased my HT system from Worst Buy back
> in Feb (they were running a good deal on the one I wanted, and I
> didn't want to pay 150 bucks in shipping)

sweet ... i got a great deal on mine, too, through circuit city ...
saved a lot of money picking it up myself (and the girl that checked me
out said it was going on sale in a week, so she gave me the sale price,
which i wouldn't have gotten online!) ...

however, i got my HDTV from BB (4:3 27" Advent) ... kicking myself still
:( ... oh well, i've learned a lot about the technology since then, so
next time, i'll get it right ;)

> Well, I looked at all the
> boxes and saw no mention of "Monster Cable or equivlent required" on
> any box.

it's in the fine print ;)

> I told him that the system would run on Cat5 if I wanted it
> to.

hell, the speaker wire that usually comes w/ HT systems is just
*slightly* better than the individual wires in cat5 :P ... i know my
onkyo came with really crappy wires which i promptly replaced with
thicker ones (is that higher or lower gauge, i can never remember :P)
and added banana clips on one end and "poles" (the speakers have "bare
wire" spring-loaded connectors) on the other end ... much better! :)

> He got all pissy, and I proceded to the front to pay.

yikes, don't they get paid commission?  isn't one sale w/o monster
cables better than no sales at all?!

> I think a quality cable makes the system sound better, but $20 per
> cable difference between the Monster Cables and Acoustic Research
> cables is retarded.

yah, now that you mention it, i believe that's what my speaker cables
are (AR, not phillips) ... same w/ the "pole" ends

-g-