[mythtv-users] Myth Setting Frequency of PVR-250 Wrongly... What's Going On?

Geoff Scott geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com
Mon May 23 17:53:57 UTC 2005

I've been working on a box lately, following Jarod's guide. It is a
FC3 system running MythTV 0.18.1, and IVTV 0.3.x, built using Axel's
RPMs (with the "testing" rpms for ivtv, since I thought upgrading to
the newer ivtv would help me).

I boot up, fire up MythFrontend and go to live TV.  I get some black
and white static bars and I get the sound fine.  I was finally able to
get Live TV to work after I used the ptune.ui and setting the
"channel" to "3".  After doing that, I could fire up Mythfrontend and
use LiveTV fine.

So, I wondered, what was going on.

I dumped the result of "ivtvctl -a" into a file after a boot, and when
Live TV would not work, and I did the same dump after I got live TV to
work.  I then diffed them, at it appears that the only significant
difference was the setting for "Frequency".

On boot, the Frequency is set to 0.  When MythTV fires up Live TV,
it's set to 884, which doesn't work.  When I get Live TV working, the
Frequency is set to 980.

So, I thought I would dump a "/usr/bin ivtvctl -r 980" into
/etc/rc.d/rc.local to force it to set to 980 on boot.  This didn't
work.

I looked everywhere I could think of that might have that 884
frequency.  I scanned all through the database, but nothing popped out
to me.  I don't know how/why MythTV is setting the tuner card
parameters.

I'm at a loss here as to what I need to do next.  I've looked through
dmesg and all seems to be fine, I can post that if someone wants a
peak.

Frustrating, as this is the last "bug" on the box.

... and for those of you that know the show, yes, the "What's Going
On?" in the title is a Xandir reference from "Drawn Together".

gs