[mythtv-users] IR receiver help

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Sun May 22 22:43:50 UTC 2005

Quoting Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:

> On 5/21/05, Derek Battams <derek at battams.ca> wrote:
>> Quoting Rob Bongiovi <rbongiovi at yahoo.com>:
>> > I'm in the same boat...decided to try one this guy
>> > builds and use it with one of the remotes I have
>> > laying around:
>> >
>> > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjustsellinstuff
>> >
>> > Rob
>> =20
>> I bought this same receiver from the same eBay seller.  Received it the o=
> ther
>> day.  The receiver isn't working for me in Linux (KnoppMyth RA15), howeve=
> r I
>> know the receiver is good as I've hooked it up to my WinXP box and it wor=
> ks
>> like a charm in Windows.  No problems with the seller... quick shipment, =
> etc.
>> so I definitely recommend the seller.  I just hope I can get the receiver=
>> work with KnoppMyth.
>> =20
>> If anyone's got a serial IR receiver working with KnoppMyth RA15 successf=
> ully
>> then I'd love to hear how you did it.  I was able to rebuild lirc 0.7.1, =
> got
>> the lirc_serial kernel module built and loaded, but when I run 'irw' I ge=
> t no
>> response from it when I push any remote buttons.  Again, the same receive=
> r and
>> remote hooked up to my WinXP box works like a charm.
>
> Derek,
>
> Do you get any response when running irrecord in raw mode? irw needs a
> properly configured lircd.conf remote definitions file to give output
> when you press keys. irrecord should work irrespective of this (i.e.
> if you're trying to get the code to create the lircd.conf file) and
> would be a better indication if its working.
>
> Nick

I didn't run irw in raw mode, perhaps I'll try that after dinner.  However,
mode2 and irrecord both gave no response as well.  Then I tried using WinLIRC
on my WinXP box and get no response.  However, I do get a response on my WinXP
box when using a program called Grider (the program described in the sheet
included by the eBay seller).  With that program on WinXP I do get a response
from the remote/receiver combo.  Basically, here's what I did on the KnoppMyth
RA15 box:

* Install Myth
* Remove preinstalled Lirc package (only support for Hauppauge remote built in
this prebuilt package according to KnoppMyth docs)
* Download LIRC 0.7.1 from web site
* Build lirc with lirc_serial driver; install module
* setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; depmod -a; modprobe lirc_serial
* Module loads with no errors; run irrecord - no response to button pushes;
start lircd --nodaemon and run irw (though I never tried 'raw mode' as
suggested above) with no response; stop lircd and run mode2, again with no
response.

This is the last piece of the puzzle before I'm ready to install my Myth box
permanently (without a remote the system is not very useful to me yet).

Help appreciated,

Derek