[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Sun May 15 00:11:47 UTC 2005

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> So - I need some ideas here how to handle this.
>
> I got digital cable installed today by Time Warner in Durham NC.  When I
> had the appointment arranged, the tech was supposed to bring a HD box
> with an active firewire port.  When the tech got here, he had no idea
> what I was talking about (gotta love contractors huh?).  He said head to
> the customer care center downtown.
>
> So I head there with the FCC mandate in hand.  I talk to the
> representative, and he also has no idea what firewire was.  After
> explaining it to him, he says they have no boxes.  I whip out the
> mandate and tell him he is supposed to have a box with firewire as of
> April Last year.  He takes my name and number and says he'll talk to his
> sales manager and call me back.  He also recommended I called the
> customer care number and talked to them.
>
> I get home today to call them up, and then I talked to a representative
> who again knew nothing of firewire.  She makes an appointment with a
> tech for tomorrow, to bring out a new box, and puts in the notes that I
> want a box with firewire.   I tell her to also put in the notes that if
> they don't have a regular box with firewire, I'll have to take a DVR
> series box.  Now this appointment she says can be from 8 am to 8 pm
> anytime, so I gotta stay home and wait for this.
>
> Now what should be my next step should TW not bring out a box with
> firewire tomorrow?
>

> Mario

Howdy,

Had similar problems as well with TimeWarner/Brighthouse in Tampa Bay
last year when I first wanted to get a 1394 box;  only way I got it was
by going to the local office and waiting for about an hour in their
lobby till I got a manager who knew what I was talking about.  I wouldnt
trust that the tech tommorrow will bring a 1394 tech (they work on
sundays up there?)  I just recently started as a cable installer for
Brighthouse down here, and I can tell you at least from my experience,
none of the contractors are aware of the 1394 box because
TimeWarner/Brighthouse doesnt make us aware of it.  Hecked, I even asked
the managers at 2 of the offices that all of the contractors for the
county I work in about the 1394 box, and they had no idea about it;
when I asked why they didnt being in such a position, I was told (by
thier manager) that since it was such a specialty item TimeWarner/BH
wont/doesnt go out of thier way to make them available (ie make the
customer come to the local office to pick it up).  Weve been instructed
to tell any customer that wants one to go to thier local office and
speak to a customer service rep or office manager to get one.

So best advice, go and camp out in thier office till you get the box in
hand that you want.

Tom