[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sun May 15 00:24:00 UTC 2005

Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:

> Howdy,
>

> Had similar problems as well with TimeWarner/Brighthouse in Tampa Bay
> last year when I first wanted to get a 1394 box;  only way I got it
> was by going to the local office and waiting for about an hour in
> their lobby till I got a manager who knew what I was talking about.  I
> wouldnt trust that the tech tommorrow will bring a 1394 tech (they
> work on sundays up there?)  I just recently started as a cable
> installer for Brighthouse down here, and I can tell you at least from
> my experience, none of the contractors are aware of the 1394 box
> because TimeWarner/Brighthouse doesnt make us aware of it.  Hecked, I
> even asked the managers at 2 of the offices that all of the
> contractors for the county I work in about the 1394 box, and they had
> no idea about it; when I asked why they didnt being in such a
> position, I was told (by thier manager) that since it was such a
> specialty item TimeWarner/BH wont/doesnt go out of thier way to make
> them available (ie make the customer come to the local office to pick
> it up).  Weve been instructed to tell any customer that wants one to
> go to thier local office and speak to a customer service rep or office
> manager to get one.
>

> So best advice, go and camp out in thier office till you get the box
> in hand that you want.
>
> Tom

Well I guess I have to figure out where that local office is now.  The
only places actually posted on the TW website seem to be the customer
care centres.

Further, looking the box they gave me is a Explorer 3250HD.  It "does"
come in a firewire variation, just I obviously didn't get it.  Which box
did you eventually end up getting from them?  An 8000 or 8300 series DVR
box?  I'm planning on printing out some pics of these boxes with the
firewire ports to show the tech tomorrow.  I'm still pretty surprised
myself they work sundays, but hell I won't argue.  Not to intrude, but
Tom - Being an installer for them, do you have any contacts up here you
could help me pull strings with now?  I'd really hate to have to go
through too many hoops getting this going, I'm only living in the area
for 3 months, but still want to beable to enjoy summertime HD from myth :)