[mythtv-users] Streaming mp3s from another machine?

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sat May 14 02:47:10 UTC 2005

On Friday 13 May 2005 10:06 pm, Matthew Phillips wrote:

> I think the best way for this to happen would be for the Myth box to
> act as an AirTunes server, which means it would show up as a pair of
> remote speakers to iTunes and anything else that groks that protocol.
> This just requires the use of Bonjour (nee Rendezvous) to advertise
> remote speakers (Apple has released the mDNS Bonjour utilities as
> OS), and the crack to AirTunes' encryption (http://www.cocoadev.com/
> index.pl?AirTunes) to be combined. Which, AFAICT hasn't actually been
> done yet.

 Non-trivial.

 Airport advertises itself as a raop server via
zeroconfig/rendezvous/bounjour/mdns-nom-du-jour. Raop (Remote Audio Output
Protocol) is rtsp/rtp, but with encryption added.

The encryption protocol is reasonably well understood.

Public keys (what you need to encrypt content and send it to an Airport) are
known.

Private keys (what you need to "fake" an airport, receive content from iTunes,
and then play it) are completely unkown. The keys are there, somewhere in the
firmware of AirportExpress, but nobody's dug them out yet.

- thor