[mythtv-users] Streaming mp3s from another machine?

Matthew Phillips mythtv at mattp.name
Sat May 14 02:06:37 UTC 2005

On 14/05/2005, at 4:19 AM, Justin Mason wrote:
> I've been looking around for a way to get my mythbox playing mp3s from
> another server, without requiring it NFS-mount the mp3s dir in its
> entirety.  (the mythbox' network interface is unreliable wifi.)

This may not be what you're looking for, and doesn't actually work
quite yet, but I thought I'd post this for the edification of anyone
looking to stream music from iTunes to their Myth box. I mainly use a
PowerBook at home and I'd like to be able to stream from it to the
entertainment system.

I think the best way for this to happen would be for the Myth box to
act as an AirTunes server, which means it would show up as a pair of
remote speakers to iTunes and anything else that groks that protocol.
This just requires the use of Bonjour (nee Rendezvous) to advertise
remote speakers (Apple has released the mDNS Bonjour utilities as
OS), and the crack to AirTunes' encryption (http://www.cocoadev.com/
index.pl?AirTunes) to be combined. Which, AFAICT hasn't actually been
done yet.

This is one of those projects that I plan to follow up on when
everything else is working perfectly ;)

Cheers,

Matthew.

Discussion on the topic: http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?AirTunes