[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag thrown out

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri May 6 20:17:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:58:41PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Because I question the availability of HD signals.  AFAIU, an HDTV card
> such as those we are talking about in this thread can only receive OTA
> signals.  No cable or satellite, etc.

.. They do OTA and Cable (QAM) as long as it's not encrypted QAM.

> Will the OTA distribution of content ever be any better than it is with
> analog and rabbit ears right now where, in anything but the largest
> markets, you get a couple of local channels and perhaps a national (i.e.
> the CBC for those that live in Canada).

>From 11 local OTA stations, I get 27 total HD streams currently, and
that's going up even higher soon.  I see a lot more diverse programs and
thanks to MythTV, I don't have to be up at 4:00am to see them.

> networks.  Can smaller Canadian cities near larger US ones get the
> content floating over the border the we can with snowy analog channels
> if the wind is blowing right?  Somehow I doubt it.  Being digital I can
> imagine you need a clear signal or you get no signal at all rather than
> the equivalent of just a snowy analog signal.

Depending on terrain, you can get up to 100+ miles, but 60-70 is really
the most typically.

--Brandon