[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag thrown out

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 6 19:58:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:44 -0700, Brad Templeton wrote:

> Why wait?  Yes, the cards, and PCs and TVs will be cheaper and better
> in another year.   And the same will be true the year after that and
> the year after that.

Because I question the availability of HD signals.  AFAIU, an HDTV card
such as those we are talking about in this thread can only receive OTA
signals.  No cable or satellite, etc.

Will the OTA distribution of content ever be any better than it is with
analog and rabbit ears right now where, in anything but the largest
markets, you get a couple of local channels and perhaps a national (i.e.
the CBC for those that live in Canada).

For Canadians, are there any markets outside of Toronto and Vancouver
that has any decent (or any at all) HDTV content?

I doubt there is anywhere in Canada that can receive any of the big US
networks.  Can smaller Canadian cities near larger US ones get the
content floating over the border the we can with snowy analog channels
if the wind is blowing right?  Somehow I doubt it.  Being digital I can
imagine you need a clear signal or you get no signal at all rather than
the equivalent of just a snowy analog signal.

b.