[mythtv-users] prebuffering pause on live playback

stan at stanandliz.net stan at stanandliz.net
Fri May 6 07:21:11 UTC 2005

Hi - I have an M6000 and have just finished setting it up with version
0.18 . MythTV is fantastic despite my fears over the relatively
underpowered hardware.

I am running Gentoo and have an Avermedia 771, so am getting an mpeg2
stream which means less CPU used for mpeg2 decoding with the unichrome
mpeg2 card. I am running backend and frontend on the same box with no
problems.

When I run anything without hardware acceleration, the CPU maxs out and
the pictures lag a bit. When acceleration is on, I get about 40% idle and
the picture is perfect. Even when I play an xvid file with mplayer and an
xv driver, I get 50% idle.

In short, the M6000 is fine for all video formats and can run the full
mythtv package on it's own as long as you have hardware support.

It sounds as if you may not have hardware acceleration support on - have
you compiled Myth and your kernel with Unichrome support? What distro are
you using?

NOTE: Even when hardware acceleration is on, you will get "prebuffering
pause" messages. I have got over this by running mythfrontend  with nice -
eg "nice -n -2 mythfronend".

As for your Xorg, here is a really good page that will sort out TVout. I
am using the guy's xorg.conf file and the picture is fantastic.

http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html

Hope this helps.

Stephen