[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV 401 and alsa sound problem(s)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:38:40 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, karsten <karsten at jeppesens.com> wrote:
> If you know this - then it is probably simple. I am new to Alsa so for
> me - not.
>
> The setup is a minimum FC3 running Xorg directly. Video is not the
> problem :-)
>
> Not knowing if this is a good idea or what I am attempting to capture
> the sound directly from the WinTv using the snd_bt87x module.
> Obviously I am missing something - all I get is silent movie in myth.
>
> --- My modprobe.conf ---
> alias eth0 via-rhine
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-bt87x
>
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> --- end of my modprobe.conf ---
>
> So my soundcard (built-in) is card 0 and the sound capture is on card-1
>
> arecord -D hw:1,1 -r 119466 -f S16_LE -t wav | aplay
> Does play the channel sound - although I am not happy about the quality.
> But ince it doesn't work yet, then I assume that the quality issue is
> due to my inability to get the other stuff to work.
>
> aplay /dev/dsp
> does not work for me
>
> I used the alsamixer to unmute the capture on card 1 and select the
> tvtuner as input
> I used the alsamixer to unmute the sound card and select headphones as
> output and something called VIA DSX
>
> I have been searching for a procedure to debug from one end to the other
> what I am doing wrong - but so far - no cigar.
>
> Does anybody know how to proceed ?

Karsten,

Firstly, as you have a WinTV 401, have you looked into using the
btaudio driver from video4linux instead of the ALSA one? Info here
says the 401 card should work without problems:

http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Btaudio

Setting up btaudio is also detailed here:

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/BtaudioHowTo

Secondly, if /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0 does not work (is it a device not
found error?) this likely shows that the OSS emulation for ALSA is
either not installed or not configured properly. (The ALSA-OSS lines
are missing from your modprobe.conf for example) The ALSA site has the
following page of info for the bt878:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Brooktree&card=.&chip=Bt878%2C+Bt878a&module=bt87x

Nick