[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV 401 and alsa sound problem(s)

karsten karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 5 17:17:32 UTC 2005

If you know this - then it is probably simple. I am new to Alsa so for
me - not.

The setup is a minimum FC3 running Xorg directly. Video is not the
problem :-)

Not knowing if this is a good idea or what I am attempting to capture
the sound directly from the WinTv using the snd_bt87x module.
Obviously I am missing something - all I get is silent movie in myth.

--- My modprobe.conf ---
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

alias snd-card-1 snd-bt87x

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
--- end of my modprobe.conf ---

So my soundcard (built-in) is card 0 and the sound capture is on card-1

arecord -D hw:1,1 -r 119466 -f S16_LE -t wav | aplay
Does play the channel sound - although I am not happy about the quality.
But ince it doesn't work yet, then I assume that the quality issue is
due to my inability to get the other stuff to work.

aplay /dev/dsp
does not work for me

I used the alsamixer to unmute the capture on card 1 and select the
tvtuner as input
I used the alsamixer to unmute the sound card and select headphones as
output and something called VIA DSX

I have been searching for a procedure to debug from one end to the other
what I am doing wrong - but so far - no cigar.

Does anybody know how to proceed ?

Karsten