[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV 401 and alsa sound problem(s)

karsten karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 5 20:12:02 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

> Firstly, as you have a WinTV 401, have you looked into using the
>
>btaudio driver from video4linux instead of the ALSA one? Info here
>says the 401 card should work without problems:
>
>http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Btaudio
>
>Setting up btaudio is also detailed here:
>
>http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/BtaudioHowTo

The OSS is depreciated, so the module is no longer in the stock kernel.
I can recompile for this, but I thought it would be better to poor a bit
of effort into the newer technology -Alsa. What is you position an that?

>Secondly, if /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0 does not work (is it a device not
>found error?)

The devices are there:
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 14,  3 May  5 02:12 /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 14, 19 May  5 02:12 /dev/dsp1
I just wanted to make aware of that the aplay /dev/dsp didn't yield any
sound. What I get is:

Playing raw data '/dev/dsp' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
underrun!!! (at least 8.534 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 10.722 ms long)
(continues)
playing /dev/dsp1 gives no sound and no messages.

>this likely shows that the OSS emulation for ALSA is
>either not installed or not configured properly. (The ALSA-OSS lines
>are missing from your modprobe.conf for example) The ALSA site has the
>following page of info for the bt878:
>
>http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Brooktree&card=.&chip=Bt878%2C+Bt878a&module=bt87x

Hmm. Maybe I should start by asking on the Alsa list. I ind it very
difficult to determine a procedure to debug this.
I made a .asoundrc file:
---
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.wintv {
type hw
card 1
device 1
}

ctl.wintv {
type hw
card 1
device 1
}
---

Not that id made of difference - he he - now I can get some of the sound
in resampled sssssllllloooooowwweerrr version.

I altered the modconfig without getting any closer :-(
as you can see below:
---
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias char-major-81 bttv
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-1 snd-bt87x
# module options should go here