[mythtv-users] VNC as a Single remote for Multiple Frontends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 2 17:15:30 UTC 2005

Mercury Morris wrote:

>On 4/24/05, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Mercury Morris wrote:
>>
>>>So, I'm wondering if there might be a hack for VNC to run on the PSP.
>>>I'll be off searching for any help in that area.  I've seen Palm VNC, and
>>>plan to study/research that further, too.
>>>
>>>The purpose(s) of my original message were to add some information
>>>about VNC to the discussion, and see if anyone has a better, less-bulky
>>>solution to the Single-Remote/Multiple-Frontends situation.
>>>
>>I don't know about the PSP, but VNC clients exist for Windows based
>>PDA's, I believe.
>>
>>http://www.freewareppc.com/docs/vncviewerforpocketpc.shtml
>>

>If there were absolutely no alternative to a Windows-based device,
>then it would rise to the top of the list.  I'm sure hoping that some
>flavor of Linux on a hand-held device is capable of running a VNC
>client.

Sharp Zaurus with VNC viewer.  Unfortunately--even though they sell a
handheld running Linux--Sharp's website isn't tested with
Linux-compatible browsers, so I can't get you a link--every page is
blank in FF 1.0.3.  They are truly geniuses when it comes to marketing.
Google says the important pages are:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bzaurus+site%3Asharpusa.com&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial

I replaced the Sharp ROM with OpenZaurus ( http://www.openzaurus.org/ )
and OPIE ( http://opie.handhelds.org/ ) (see screenshots at
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=opie12 )
and am considering switching to GPE ( http://gpe.handhelds.org/ --which
is now pretty well supported on the Zaurus) (see screenshots at
http://handhelds.org/~gpe/gallery/ --click the images to see screenshots
in that category), but you can get the viewer for the Sharp ROM if you
prefer.  Note that you can also run OPIE and GPE on iPAQ and other
handhelds (see http://www.handhelds.org/ for all the info you need), but
buying a Zaurus means you don't pay for PalmOS or wince (I mean Pocket PC).

You can even use your Zaurus to watch TV from your MythBox using VLC
(not VNC) (
http://handhelds.org/~gpe/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=portedapps&id=land_20877
) and a wireless LAN!  :)  Who else out there has a handheld remote
control on which they can watch TV?  (Note, I haven't set mine up to use
the wireless LAN--haven't bought the wireless adapter--but just knowing
I could makes me happy.  It works great from the cradle.)

VNC Viewer information is avialable at
http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/OpieUserManual_2fVNCViewer .

The hardest part is putting it all together--appropriate hardware (i.e.
Sharp Zaurus SL-6000), kernel (OpenZaurus for SL-6000/tosa),
distribution (OPIE or GPE), and applications--but it's worth it.

HTH.
Mike