[mythtv-users] what's the deal with pluto?

pmb junk at umich2.com
Thu Mar 24 01:41:08 UTC 2005

pmb wrote:

>    So has anybody actually set up Pluto? Apparently it isn't vaporware
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/96360).
> I'm installing it on an old box to check it out. I'll post more info
> once it's up.

Got it up and running. Myth (a stripped down version) is just one of
many plugins , including a bunch of Misterhouse type stuff, Asterisk,
and some basic desktop functionality.
The web interface has a million different options, but couldn't test
most of it as I don't have the home automation or security camera
hardware. From what I could tell, the TV interface requires a mouse, but
I could be wrong about that. Didn't feel like setting up lirc.
The TV interface  isn't entirely pretty either. It would be nice for
remote control on a handheld, but I wouldn't want it running on my TV
the way Myth does.

The install is really slick. You download a "kickstart cd" (debian
sarge) and fill out a questionnaire on their website that decides which
modules to install and gives you an ID. When you plug your ID onto the
installer when prompted, it apt-get's everything according to your
questionnaire and configures it on the fly for the most part.

All in all, I'd say its not ready for my house yet, but it is an early
release, so who knows what will happen. Since I don't have the
equipment, money, or time to spend getting the home automation stuff set
up, I'll stick with Myth and probably add Asterisk soon. I'm holding my
breath for the day I can install asterisk at home (centOS based) and just
apt-get mythtv-suite.
Any word on the timeline for CentOS/RHEL support on ATRPM's?

--
http://www.umich2.com