[mythtv-users] Lite-On IR Keyboard and Learning Remotes

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:30:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:09:55 -0500, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know some of you out there have gone this route.  I've been using
> the Lite-On wireless IR keyboard to run my myth box for a few weeks or
> so, and decided this weekend to pick-up a learning remote and start
> moving some functions to it.  Now, I know the learning remote is
> working because it has learned functions from two other remotes.
> However, when i try to teach it a keystroke from the Lite-On -
> nothing.  For those that have done this, are there any tricks to
> getting this to work?

I have an Acer wireless keyboard that I purchased about 5 years ago,
but looks similar to the Lite-On ones I've seen.  But I have
successfully programmed a RS 15-2116 8in1 remote to mimic the
keyboard.  Works great.

To teach the remote a keypress, I usually have to try about 3 to 4
times for each key.  I usually hold the remote one inch away from the
keyboard.  I usually hold the remote at a 30degree angle to the
keyboard (The keyboard cover appears to be at a 30 degree angle so
rotating it makes the surfaces parallel.)  I just set the keyboard on
the edge of the table and keep moving the remote around until it
works.  I usually hold the key down for about 1 to 1.5 seconds.

HOWEVER,  I was only able to teach my remote about 8 keys before the
memory was full.  Not quite enough to be functional.  So, I had to get
a JP1 cable and reprogram it.  The was very easy with the software
found over at http://hifi-remote.com/ofa/ .  There was already a
config file for the keyboard, I just had to map the keys in the excel
spreadsheet.  If you don't want to go the LIRC route, I suggest you
spend some time on researching JP1 programming.

-rac