[mythtv-users] HDMI-DVI => Safe for HDTV?

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Sun Mar 20 01:17:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:13:29PM -0500, Scott Matheson wrote:
> So I'm a little freaked out about running DVI out into my HDTV HDMI. I
> have a 47" Panasonic, so I copied Jarrod's modelines, hooked it up
> (hovering near the tv power button all the while) and booted up the
> computer. All seemed well, I ran it for a few minutes, played back a
> DVD and a HD recording. I got good signal from BIOS, grub, nvidia
> splash, X (KDE) and Myth.
>
> I'm certainly not complaining -- this was way easy -- I just don't want
> to be lulled into a false sense of security and fry the CRT-projector
> TV. Will the tv's HDMI input prevent this? What should I be looking for
> as signs of a problem? The TV manual is singularly unhelpful.

What would you be concerned about exactly?  Using refresh rates that
are outside your display devices specs might be an issue.  If you
provided the VertRefresh and HorizSync values correctly in the
xorg.conf (or XF86Config) file, X shouldn't run your display at
something it couldn't handle.  But what in the world would you be
worried about WRT to the DVI-HDMI cable?  It's digital!  Wouldn't this
be a bit like worrying about your switch frying your computer over the
ethernet cable?  Not like it couldn't happen... but...