[mythtv-users] HDMI-DVI => Safe for HDTV?

Nathan Poznick kraken at wang-fu.org
Fri Mar 18 05:53:33 UTC 2005

Thus spake Scott Matheson:
> I'm certainly not complaining -- this was way easy -- I just don't want
> to be lulled into a false sense of security and fry the CRT-projector
> TV. Will the tv's HDMI input prevent this? What should I be looking for
> as signs of a problem? The TV manual is singularly unhelpful.

I've been using a DVI->HDMI connector for my Myth box for a few months
now with no problems.  I say no problems--due to the nvidia driver bug
it won't actually push 1080i, but I've been running in 720x480 without
any issues.  It's even survived my repeated attempts to get 1080i
working.  Does your TV return EDID information to X?  If so, sticking
closely to those scan rates and resolutions should keep you pretty safe.

--
Nathan Poznick <kraken at wang-fu.org>

Occupation is the scythe of time. - Napoleon Bonaparte