[mythtv-users] Can a master backend have no inputs?

STEPHEN BODDY stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 12:58:01 UTC 2005

--- David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 3/11/2005 7:03 AM, William wrote:
>
> >>Can a master backend have no capture cards or
> devices, and
> >>only have them in
> >>one or more slave backends? The docs seem a bit
> ambiguous about this
> >>(admittedly unusual) case.
> >>

> >What is the point? If you want to put your storage
> somewhere else thats easy
> >to do but its not really a backend if it does not
> have a capture device.
> >

> I am not the OP, but I have thought about doing
> this.  Two reasons why I
> thought about it: 1) I have a nice dual-processor
> file server, would be
> nice to have scheduling and transcoding done on it,
> and 2) My fileserver
> is on all the time, it would be nice to set it up so
> that the fileserver
> (master backend) told the slave backends to wake up
> when they have
> something to record (electricity is expensive around
> here).  Oh, and why
> don't I put any capture cards in the fileserver?
> Because I don't have
> any free slots, and I can't buy a USB capture device
> right now (too many
> other priorities).
>
> Of course I haven't tried it yet, but I am seriously
> thinking about it. :-)

Thanks David, for putting it so perfectly. In my case,
I want to move the storage and scheduling to an
always-on server in my "office". But my aerials (T&S)
terminate in the living room. It's a rented flat, and
I can't start rewiring. I could have the box in the
living room act as the Master Backend, with storage on
the office box, but then I have to have two PC's
running constantly. I'm single, and have to pay UK
energy costs, and I'd rather be environmentally friendly(er).