[mythtv-users] Re: Can a master backend have no inputs?

STEPHEN BODDY stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 12:45:42 UTC 2005

Grrr! Human error >:-(

--- STEPHEN BODDY <stephen.boddy at btinternet.com>
wrote:
> I've not tried posting via the web mail client, so
> apologies if it stuffs up threading.
>
> --- Garry Cook <garrycook at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK, I'm not doubting you here, you may very well
> be
> > correct. I don't
> > know the answer to these questions, as I currently
> > only run one MythTV
> > box, combo BE/FE.
> > However, wouldn't a backend without inputs just be
> > frontend? What
> > would be the purpose of a slave backend with no
> > inputs? Would it be to
> > distribute transcoding and commercial flagging
> jobs?

This is my current understanding

Master Backend
  This is the controlling backend, telling Slave
Backends what to do and when,
  Runs the mythbackend process,
  Usually has  the DB too.

Slave Backend
  Takes instructions from the master as to when and
what to do,
  Runs the mythbackend process.

Frontend
  Runs the mythfrontend process,
  Communicates with the Master Backend,
  Possibly communicates with Slave Backends (i.e.
LiveTV)
  Plays DVD's, music, slideshows etc.

So, most people have a one box deal, running as Master
Backend and Frontend. I, for various reasons, want to
run with:

Master Backend / General Purpose Server
  Has DB, NFS, and MythWeb, but no capture cards.

Slave Backend / Frontend
  Has DVB cards, and is told by Master Backend what
and when to record.