[mythtv-users] Temporarily disable a channel [aka, ABC15_1-HD off-air in PHX]

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 05:35:08 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I make a channel temporarily unavailable for scheduled
> recordings, without having to delete it completely from the database?
> I have a pile of things that are tied to that channel so I'd rather
> not kill it completely.

Haven't tried this, but perhaps assigning an invalid source ID to the
channel(s) may stop MythTV trying to use it (after reducing its
priority to the lowest setting).

I'd suggest 'active', 'broadcasting_starts' and 'broadcasting_ends'
flags for the channels table would be ever so useful in this regard,
as it would mean particular channels can be dropped out of the lineup
on an ad-hoc basis, and channels which do not broadcast 24hrs can be
catered for by the scheduler.

> 2nd note: For most recordings, I already have (2) entries, one with a
> -10 priority on a NON-HD Tuner, and one with a 10 priority on an HD
> tuner. Because the HD tuner tries, it never "fails over" to the other
> entry.

Both sources and channels can have their priorities set, so it should
be possible to reduce the priority of the HD channel(s) to below those
of the SD channel(s) whilst keeping the HD source at a higher priority
overall until the work is finished. I don't know the exact logic
behind the scheduler, so am not sure if making sure the HD version of
the channel has a lower priority than its SD version is enough to
force recording of the SD channel. If the SD tuner is busy at this
time though, obviously the recording will fail.

HTH,
Nick