[mythtv-users] Trouble booting a system with S-video plugged in

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 22:32:20 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Larry Taub <larryt at gmail.com> wrote:
>  When I boot with S-Video plugged in, the BIOS shows up fine and the tv
> displays that the grub bootloader stage 2 is beginning and then it never
> continues. If I plug in a VGA monitor or nothing, it boots fine and when it
> gets to the X login screen, I can hook in my S-Video cable and see
> everything just fine and it works fine on the tv after this point.

When you only have S-Video plugged in, is the machine actually
hanging, or is there just no output on the TV? Depending on X, it may
be looking for a VGA monitor to be present to successfully launch the
X server. If this is the case, it is usually possible to edit the
xorg.conf file to tell X that you are using on S-Video output.
Alternatively, if you are using a clone mode, then it is likely it
will try and detect the presence of the VGA card first (which may
explain why it works and you get cloned displays with both VGA and
S-Video connected)

>  Obviously, I don't intend on rebooting this machine often but it would be
> nice to figure out what is causing this problem and perhaps fix it
> especially since my backend/frontend machine boots fine with just the
> S-Video cable (on the same TV and S-Video cable right now).

On my Pundit-R (ATI based) machine, I use only S-Video output
connected to the TV. I changed the BIOS to reflect this, and also
edited my xorg.conf file to tell it I am using only display via
S-Video.

HTH,
Nick