[mythtv-users] What's a good mini front-end-only box?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:39:40 EDT 2005

On 7/14/05, Adam Bodnar <ambodnar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually going to use a Mac Mini for my frontend.
>
> I really like the size of it and how it looks compared to pretty much
> all the other Mini-ITX systems out there and it's very quiet.
>
> I haven't set it up yet with Myth, but should be pretty easy to do.
> The only reason I haven't done it yet is I'm still trying to decide on
> a good remote to use.
>
> The only ones I've found that at least at an initial glance could work
> are these:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000513KE/103-3434214-2767064?v=glance
> - This just doesn't have enough buttons.
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,CRID=2080
> - I really like the 880, but not sure it could control the Mac Mini.
> http://www.ati.com/products/remotewonder/index.html - This would work,
> but is RF only and thus can't control the tv or any other device.
> http://www.irtrans.de/english/produkte.htm - This is just a IR
> transmitter/receiver, but not sure how it would totally work yet.
>
> I'd really like something like the Harmony 880 or a Pronto.

If you get the keyspan (the one on amazon)  you can set it to use
other remotes with more buttons.
You might want to check their forums to make sure you're remote will
work first though.

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.