[mythtv-users] Where can I find technical, devloper documentation for mythtv

Bob Weber rjweber at ieee.org
Wed Jul 13 18:57:40 EDT 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 04:32 am, Derek Battams wrote:

> P.S.  Is there technical/developer documentation somewhere describing
> things like the database schema, the client/server protocol, overall
> architecture, etc.?  I've started to read the code a little here and there
> and feel I could contribute fixes for this and the mythweb bug I came
> across yesterday, but it'd be much easier/quicker to jump in if I could get
> an understanding of how all the source goes together.

Your PS should probably be a separate subject, so I'll make it one. It's an
excellent question. The Docs on the website give great info on how to
install, setup mythtv, but there's little about the underlying workings. A
lot of people know this info as evidenced by all the plugins and development
activity, but I don't know if it has been written down.

For example, I'd like to figure out what are the databases that mythtv uses,
and what's in them? Mysql is used to store a lot of info, but when trying to
dump the info to move to a new system, I got nothing (I did get some help,
though, which I haven't finished trying yet). Without some understanding of
the databases, when things don't work as you expect, you're stuck (unless you
start probing the code, of course).

How about the plugin architecture? I'm going to put my backend on a separate
system. When I install plugins, do I need to install them on each frontend,
or do they go onto the backend too? I'm sure I'll figure this out when I get
there, but it'd be great if there were some details I could peruse to
understand this better.

I wish I could write this myself, but for now, it'd be great if people could
point me (us) somewhere. Hopefully I'd be answering more questions, and
asking fewer (hopefully).

- Bob