[mythtv-users] Where can I find technical, devloper documentation for mythtv

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:10:32 EDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Bob Weber <rjweber at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 14 July 2005 04:32 am, Derek Battams wrote:
> >
> > P.S.  Is there technical/developer documentation somewhere describing
> > things like the database schema, the client/server protocol, overall
> > architecture, etc.?  I've started to read the code a little here and there
> > and feel I could contribute fixes for this and the mythweb bug I came
> > across yesterday, but it'd be much easier/quicker to jump in if I could get
> > an understanding of how all the source goes together.
>
> Your PS should probably be a separate subject, so I'll make it one. It's an
> excellent question. The Docs on the website give great info on how to
> install, setup mythtv, but there's little about the underlying workings. A
> lot of people know this info as evidenced by all the plugins and development
> activity, but I don't know if it has been written down.

The code is the documentation for the code.  There's been some
preliminary work on doxygen style documentation but that's about it.

> For example, I'd like to figure out what are the databases that mythtv uses,
> and what's in them? Mysql is used to store a lot of info, but when trying to
> dump the info to move to a new system, I got nothing (I did get some help,
> though, which I haven't finished trying yet). Without some understanding of
> the databases, when things don't work as you expect, you're stuck (unless you
> start probing the code, of course).

Then you apparently didn't follow the directions in the doc on how to
back up your database.  Mysql is used to store everything.

> How about the plugin architecture? I'm going to put my backend on a separate
> system. When I install plugins, do I need to install them on each frontend,
> or do they go onto the backend too? I'm sure I'll figure this out when I get
> there, but it'd be great if there were some details I could peruse to
> understand this better.

The backend doesn't use plugins so that's an easy question.

> I wish I could write this myself, but for now, it'd be great if people could
> point me (us) somewhere. Hopefully I'd be answering more questions, and
> asking fewer (hopefully).

I had high hopes for the wiki when it started.  But it pretty much
turned into yet another install guide.