[mythtv-users] Skipping adverts in UK using DVB-T - supported ?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jan 20 03:57:52 EST 2005

In message <f5fbd4af05012000247b4649b0 at mail.gmail.com>
        Andy Whitworth <andywhit at gmail.com> wrote:

> My TV when in 'auto' mode often switches to/from 16:9 when the ad
> break appears so I guess there is a physical change ?  I think this
> would be a useful detection trigger to add to the list!

Your TV probably switches because the set top box sees the header flag
or the AFD in the digital stream and adjusts the level on pin 8 on the
SCART plug to indicate the format of the content.

Some set top boxes (like the Pioneer I was using most recently) don't
handle AFDs properly and continue generating a 16:9 signal with black
bars but because they still signal 16:9 to the TV it still looks right.

Myth seems to always generate a 16:9 signal if you have set your
display size to indicate that you have a 16:9 set. It just puts side
bars in for 4:3 content.

I believe some TVs also have modes which will look for black bars
and try and zoom them out but mine doesn't do that at all.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/