[mythtv-users] mythweb file size limits

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 31 23:56:40 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 01:40:23PM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:

<snip>

> > It's entirely accurate.  Apache has not supported large file sizes
> > until 2.2.  Look at the New Features list for Apache 2.2:
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html
> >

> > Large File Support httpd is now built with support for files larger
> > than 2GB on modern 32-bit Unix systems. Support for handling >2GB
> > request bodies has also been added.
>
> I see the statement, but I also see from a fresh download of httpd
> 2.0.55 that there is (at least partial) largefile support.  Not
> necessarily recommended for all platforms, but it is there.  Check out
> the CHANGES file... in this case though, they may have enabled it by
> default for all platforms, which would indeed be a new thing.

Yes, Apache 2.0 can be compiled with some support for large files on
32-bit UNIX platforms, but it's not supported by the Apache project.
Many of the largefile-related changes in the 2.0 line have been fixes
for things that were badly broken, like the autoindexing module failing
in directories if they contained files over 2GB. Even when you supply
the necessary compiler flags not all operations will accept large data
sizes and you may run in to strange new bugs. This is why vendor
packages typically do not try to enable large file support.

--
Michael Heironimus