[mythtv-users] how to feed 1280x720p to a large TV?

Thomas B. Clark mythtv at clark.durham.nc.us
Sat Dec 31 18:44:54 EST 2005

My Samsung  HL-P5063W does the same thing (black border around the
image) but only from the PC (using an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 via DVI with
nvidia driver).  I, too, have read that it is a feature, and that TVs do
it with the DVI input, presuming that it is acting as a computer monitor
rather than a TV.  However, when I hook up the the TV to the Time Warner
DVR using DVI, the image fills the screen.

How does the TV know the difference between the TW box and my mythtv
box?  I have spent hours playing with xorg.conf, even tweaking the
modeline by hand, but cannot overcome the black border.  I wonder if the
nvidia card is doing it rather than the TV.  I have filed a ticket with
Nvidia, but have yet to hear from them.

I surely would be appreciative if anybody can shed any light on this.