[mythtv-users] frontend setup (NFS ?) need clarification

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Dec 31 02:41:03 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 08:01:43PM +0100, Franco wrote:
> How should I set up things so that I can play all my video, music, etc.
> from all the frontends?  I believe the answer is "NFS", but should I setup
> things so that the paths look the same from every machine?

> I see that if I try to browse the videos from a frontend, I can see all
> the video "covers" I had setup in the backend database, but when I try
> to play them, I get a "file not found" (or similar) error.

The thumbs and movies are in different directories.  Deleting a movie
from the drive doesn't remove it from the database, so it will
continue to appear (with image) until you re-scan your media
directory from the setup page.  It will prompt for permission to
remove the missing movie from the database.

In any case, I think your original speculation is correct and MythTV
expects all front-ends to use the same directory paths for the media.
That's easily accomplished, and probably a good idea anyway as
having a common configuration makes maintaining (or adding) machines

> And how do I should setup things, as I have my videos, music, etc.,
> split among the disks of the various machines?

The directory you specify is deep-scanned, so it's possible to use
multiple nfs mounts to aggregate various machines under that
directory.  For example, if box1 exports /home/franco/videos and box2
exports /var/lib/movies, you could mount them as
/multimedia/movies/box1 and /multimedia/movies/box2 and then tell
Myth that the videos are in /multimedia/movies.  You could then
aggregate your mp3s under /multimedia/music, thumbs under
/multimedia/thumbs, etc.  I would suggest using the nfs auto-mounter
with the "ghost" option so that the mountpoints will be visible.
That way, when Myth isn't playing a movie the nfs share will be
unmounted, but when Myth scans the video directory it will know to
check both box1 and box2 (which will cause them to automatically

> Last question: the only thing I found mentioned in the FAQ, was the
> "myth://" URL... do I need to use that and where do I put it?

You can probably ignore it.  That url is used in MythWeb so that
certain clients (which may not even exist yet) can access recordings
via the web browser.

Joke template: Three guys walk into a bar. One of them is a wee bit
stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.