[mythtv-users] nuvexport: Ok here Bad over there?

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:10:03 EST 2005

On 12/30/05, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > Using the same .nuv file the on exported on
> > the celeron is smooth,  The one exported on the
> > p4 has occasional jerkeyness.  (obvious
> > in the CNBC scroller across the bottom of
> > the screen).  For something I want to time shift this is
> > not a major annoyance, but for something I want
> > to archive it is.
>
> There appears to be some sort of problem when encoding files over
> network shares.  I have *no* idea what it is, and it happens with both
> ffmpeg and transcode for me (with or without --force_mythtranscode)

Oddly enough, the P4 is the master, and encodes jerky.
The Celeron is the slave encoding from the master
via nfs.

> hmm, now that's curious..  My networked box (my workstation) is also
> SMP.  Never occurred to me that would be an issue.  Why not try it and
> see if it makes a difference?

Doing that now.
Set the bios to turn off hyperthreading and it only sees
one CPU now, (even tho the smp kernel is still being used).

-----> It just finished, and with single processor it is rock
solid and smooth.  Files were precisely the same size
as rendered by the celeron.

Just to be fair and complete in this test
I'm going to reboot with hyperthreading turned on again and
try it again. That way each test will start from the clean state.