[mythtv-users] Myth2ipod status

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 19:34:48 EST 2005

On 12/30/05, Lee Mitchell <lee at spamtastic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm using it, but had to hack it about due to a problem i've had with
> DVB recordings.
>
> For some reason on certain programs, there appear to be 2 audio tracks,
> and myth2ipod doesn't work out which one is the valid track to use, and
> so I was getting encoded video but either none, or the wrong audio
> occasionally.

Eww, that sucks. :-( I had a similar problem, which, fortunatly, could
be handled automatically: Some of my DVB programs have one "good" and
one "bad" audio track, i.e. there is a second track that contains no
data. With the standard command, ffmpeg will fail on those recordings
because it can't decde the empty track. My (rather hackish) fix: If
the standard command fails, ffmpeg is called again with map options to
only use the first audio track. (-map 0.0 -map 0.1) If that fails, too
- sometimes the second track contains the valid audio - it's called
yet again with options to use the second track. ( -map 0.0 -map 0.2 )
If that doesn't work, either, the script will give up.

I also added some other parameters to the default ffmpeg flags like
"-ac 2" and " -ar 48000" because without those ffmpeg would sometimes
fail to encode videos.

Oh, and BTW: If you're auto-generating the podcast files, here's a
simple script to auto-clean any recordings older than 7 days from your
podcast:

#!/bin/bash
find /<PATH>/<TO>/<FEED>/<DIR>/*.mov -mtime +7 | xargs rm -fr
find /<PATH>/<TO>/<FEED>/<DIR>/*.xml -mtime +7 | xargs rm -fr

Just run it as a nightly cron job and your disk won't fill up with old
podcast videos.

Jens