[mythtv-users] Recording HD content from a Comcast/Dish/DTV box

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 26 17:47:21 EST 2005

Apologies in advance if this is an often-asked question.

I'm looking at setting up a MythTV box to replace the pathetic excuse
for a PVR that Comcast provides with their HDTV tuner.

I know that there are HDTV cards out there which can receive an OTA HDTV
signal, but what about when the HDTV signal is from a cable box? Is it
possible to run the DVI or component output from the cable box into a
MythTV box, and then from the MythTV box to the TV using DVI/component?

I've been researching all things MythTV for the last two days but I
haven't found anything addressing this particular setup. I've found a
few posts mentioning that you can't run a digital cable signal straight
into a tuner card, but nothing addressing whether you can use the HD
output from the cable box as an HD input on the MythTV box.

TIA for any help.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837