[mythtv-users] Shuttle Barebones Case SN95G5 V3 or SN25P

Ant Daniel antdaniel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 21:24:24 EST 2005

On 24/12/05, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org> wrote:

> > Anyone see any problems with either of these cases for a Myth
> > Front-end/Backend combo install?
> >
> > SN95G5
> > http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN95G5%20V3.asp
> >

> > SN25P
> > http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp
> >

> I had the sn95g5 (V.2) for a while (before it was stolen). Nice SFF case!
> Managed to reduce the noise up to a point too, but got stuck on the whiny
> little fan in the power supply. Unless you're going to do some major power
> supply mods (basically moving the psu out of the box with all the
> connector problems that entails) you'll never get this box quiet enough
> for a fronmtend you can live with. Not sure about the 25p. looks lovely
> and as I understand it has more (but possibly larger and standard sized
> fans you can swap with quieter models). I'm currently running a Biostar
> iDEQ 330p. there's one non'standard axial blower at the back, but this is
> really overkill except for CPU intensive stuff. I've swapped the other
> fans for SilenX quiet models and can honestly say that the noise level is
> very acceptable now using pwm fancontrol (you need to load the it87 module
> with the fix_pwm_polarity parameter). You might want to take a look at it
> as a possible alternative.
>
> Cheers
>
> Marius

I have an SN42G2 (or something like that), just thought I'd let you know
that heat and noise are a problem on this (esp since I added a second hard
disk). It has to run with the case off, this does nothing to help with the
noise :)

I would expect the SN95G5 to have similar issues, particuallarly after
Marius post.