[mythtv-users] recommended ivtv and firmaware versions for PVR-500

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Thu Dec 22 10:16:19 EST 2005

> Hi,
>
> Marius Schrecker schreef:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Op 19-dec-2005, om 11:29 heeft Marius Schrecker het volgende geschreven:

>>>As i'm struggeling with some quality issues myself, are you sure the
>>>problems ar at the input side?
>>>
>>>Met vriendelijke groet,
>>>
>>>Micha Kersloot
>>
>> Ooops! Almost forgot! I had some trouble compiling the 0.3.8 ivtv
>> modules
>> (from .deb) on kernel 2.6.14. Had to change a few lines of code to get
>> it
>> to work.....so perhaps it doesn't (work) ;-)...
>> That might be a good reason to go for 0.4.x
>
> I looks like there are no technical problems with the 0.4.0 version. Or
> better, these are the only drivers i've used so far.
>
> The problems I have is that the quality of the picture is noticable
> worse than the broadcast quality. Without deinterlacing, there is quite
> a lag in fast moving objects or a talk host who moves his head while he
> talks, my girlfriend calls it 'octopus images' when arms and or legs are
> involved. With interlacing the lag is less noticable, but the image does
> shock now and then (like sometimes 1 or 2 frames are cut out).
>
> I've got the idea it's problem with 25Hz pal and fglrx wich sets the
> video-card to 60Hz, but i'm not sure. I'm not able to use the bob
> deinterlace filter either, that looks like 1 frame is stuck and mixed
> with the video.
>
> I've got no idea if it helps to capture the pal stream with 30fps
> framerate (to match the 60Hz output). But well.... let's try that ;-)

Hi,  I gave up on bob after reading that it ONLY works with a 50 (or
perhaps 100 Hz) refresh rate. The closest my flatpanel will go is 75, and
I can confirm that that doesn't work. So I think 60 is most probably out
too.

I'm also having frame dropping issues, someone posted that it is a problem
with myth at the moment (don't know what you built from). It's evidently
expected to be fixed soon in svn. You might also like to check whether
your running the frontend in realtime priority.

Looks like I'm heading for IVTV 4.x :-)

Marius