[mythtv-users] Thoughts please

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 03:54:22 EST 2005

On 18/12/05, Marty Ravell <mythtv at rave-tech.com.au> wrote:
> Can I rip a DVD in such a way as to produce nuv files that the 350's
> hardware decoder can display?

DVDs are MPEG2 video and AC3/PCM/MP2 audio. The video should play
perfectly on the 350's decoder without having to touch it - just rip
it out into a single MPEG2 file. If you want audio to play through the
PVR card, you'd need to transcode to MP2 format (if AC3/PCM) and remux
this with the MPEG2 video. I'm not sure if it's possible yet to route
video through the PVR card and audio straight through a suitable
soundcard with SPDIF etc, but this would give the user the best of
both worlds. I guess A/V sync would be a big issue...

> Is it possible to setup a separate machine so that I could use the DVD
> Playing capability of Myth? (I'm thinking perhaps that I could setup a
> separate backend install on my home server?

I'd be tempted to run a stealthy Firewire/USB2 box with a regular DVD
drive. Otherwise, you could use another machine, share some space as a
'movies' NFS share, and then rip your DVDs and play them over the
network from the share through MythVideo on the TV.

Nick