[mythtv-users] Gray-OSD change font?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:22:38 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 09:52, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> > couple comments and some ideas I have for how I'd like it to look (so
> > obviously feel free to selectively ignore them...)
>
>  Not a problem. I have no problem saying "No" or "Do it yourself" :)
>
> > The position overlay is really big, theres a lot of wasted space above
> > and below the bar.
>
>  I disagree. When viewed on a TV, at a distance I think it is very easy to
> read and cramming it all together would make that much harder. If I gotta
> squint it's bad :) Plus the "status" container is used by myth for any
> status display so the String could be "Paused" "Play" "Position",
> "Adjust Time Stretch" "Adjust Volume" etc, and the Time position could be
> something like "Brightness 50%".

ah, and it all uses the same box...

>  All of which means that it has to be large enough to accomodate a variety
> of possible items.
>
> > base. Have the start time of the show on the left, the end time on the
> > right, and the progress bar in the center, all on one line. Above this
> > place the
>
>  Sounds like you want to clone the Tivo Status bar :) I have no plans to do
> that for the regular position bar, but I do prefer the slimmer look for
> edit mode so I might look at that.

Yes and no... It just makes more sense to me visually to keep all three
overlay windows more or less the same. You could keep the current three-line
position format, but I do think it would look more unified if all three
overlays used the long-info's overlay style.

> > clock right justified and the current playback status left justified.
> > Change "Position" to "Play". Possibly a playback status logo would be
> > nice to have before the word.
>
>  I have no control over this. The OSD is passed a status string and that is
> what is displayed. There is no logic to the OSD themes to allow for
> "if this then display that" so all we can do is display what is sent or
> ignore it altogether.

gotcha, once 0.19 settles out might be time to convince the devs to create a
more flexible OSD.

> > If you do decide to keep the different overlay shape: The short info is
> > center justified, the long info is left justified. My vote is to see the
> > short info left justified as well.
>
>  I gotta say I've looked at this several times (and again just now) and I
> completely prefer the small window as centered text. I'll have to think
> about that one.

True, I don't know what it would look like left justified (if you have a
screen cap I'd love to see it, I might end up agreeing with you!).

> > Your are exiting this recording Overlay
> >
> > Possible for it to display the show information as well? Title, channel,
> > etc?
>
>  Honestly I have never seen this as I disabled that popup years ago.
> I'll reenable it and  have a look. I suspect it's not an option however.
>
>  That popup is passed a message of variable size which can be small or
> large so we have to make sure there is enough room for it, plus a couple of
> lines for the options a user gets to pick from.
>
>  Ok, I enabled that popup and none of that info is available for display
> by the OSD in that particular container.   As well this same container
> is used during edit mode which is why I had to make it solid black
> otherwise it would look really ugly as a semi transparent window with text
> overlaid on the other semi transparent editbar.

again, more OSD overlay flexibility is needed... thanks for looking into it.

> > 1. The font for the clock is different than the regular font. Or... Is
> > the font for the clock different? It looks to be a different font...
>
>  All text in this theme uses 3 variations of the DejaVuSans font. (Italics,
> Bold, Regular) The variation between them is the colour of the text and
> of course the size for each particular item.

ok, so maybe its something else throwing off my eyes. actually, now that i
look at it with the current time it does look like the same font...

> > 2. Some of the fonts have the bottom 10% or so cut off. The channel
> > number in the small info display and the bottom line of the description
> > in the large
>
>  Any chance you can get me a screenshot of that ?   What resolution?
> How about Aspect ratio? 4:3 or 16:9?

I'm running at 1280x720 for HDTV. I see it in both 4:3 and 16:9 content (I
have a 4:3 tv that I switch anamorphic on for HD content and off for 4:3
content). It looks like my HD content might be worse, but its about the same.
So far its just the two instances I mentioned, haven't seen the issue
anywhere else.(and by bottom line I mean the third line for the description
in the long info).

> > 3. The clock in the position and short info is too close to the right
> > edge (my DPI is running at 100dpi).
>
>  I agree, I'll bump it to the left a few pixels
>
> > 4. The start time for a show in live tv in the large info screen shows
> > the time you started watching and not the actual program start time.
>
>  Another case of that being what we have to work with. Only a limited
> set of values are available to each of the OSD containers . I'll have
> to do some experimenting.  I never use LiveTV so I hadn't seen that.

Gotcha, I'll wait to hear what you come up with. Might be worth asking a dev
to throw some more options for information that the OSD containers can
display to get this to happen.

> > I'm still partial to how the TiVo puts the position bar at the bottom of
> > the screen, many years of TiVo use... I don't know how others feel, but
> > my vote
>
>  Not gonna happen. But obviously you can edit yours to your hearts content
> :) I've used isthmus which had it's position bar at the bottom for a long
> time and disliked the location as it was often covering up something I
> wanted to see.  Sure I could hide the OSD while still paused but to me it
> makes more sense to move it to an area of the screen that rarely contains
> anything of interest. Almost all of the video content really happens on the
> lower 2/3 of a screen and the top is often just ceilings and sky.
>
>  Also it is possible to have multiple containers appear on the screen at
> the same time and I wanted to do my best to avoid overlaps for the most
> part.

gotcha, sounds good. Even just from yesterday I'm already getting used to it
being at the top, and I don't think I really care where it goes anymore...

> > As usual, Great work, like I said before a great match for the Grayhem
> > theme, thanks for all your hard work!
>
>  Thanks, actually it was fun to work on and learn more about how myth
> handles it's themes. I had rarely dug around that portion of the code but
> found myself constantly referring to the myth source to find out just
> what values were available and what I could do in the theme with things
> like fonts and such.

Cool, I'm thinking I might design my own modified version of Gray-OSD, might
email you off list with some questions. Though it looks like most of what I
want requires some more OSD flexibility in the code.

--
Steve