[mythtv-users] Thoughts please

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Sun Dec 18 11:59:27 EST 2005

Marty Ravell wrote:

> I have a hidden MythTV box. The wife was pissed at my collection of
> homebuilt amps and cables all over the place so I replaced most of it
> with a MythTV box and moved this, along with my power amp, to a custom
> built cabinet under the floor (timber frame house). The only problem
> that I have with this is that the DVD drive is of course no longer
> accessible. (To get to my Myth box I literally have to go outside,
> around the side of the house and open the cabinet with a deadlock key)

This may not be a popular answer, but have you considered just
continuing to use the dedicated DVD player?  I pondered using Myth's DVD
feature and really could find no compelling reason to do so, especially
considering the DVD player "just works" and you don't have to spend lots
of time trying to get menus and such working.  If you only want to watch
the occasional DVD, I say leave well enough alone!  If you want to share
it to multiple rooms, consider a modulator and remote extender of some sort.