[mythtv-users] Thoughts please

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 12:32:00 EST 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 11:59, Michael Starks wrote:
> Marty Ravell wrote:
> > I have a hidden MythTV box. The wife was pissed at my collection of
> > homebuilt amps and cables all over the place so I replaced most of it
> > with a MythTV box and moved this, along with my power amp, to a custom
> > built cabinet under the floor (timber frame house). The only problem
> > that I have with this is that the DVD drive is of course no longer
> > accessible. (To get to my Myth box I literally have to go outside,
> > around the side of the house and open the cabinet with a deadlock key)
>
> This may not be a popular answer, but have you considered just
> continuing to use the dedicated DVD player?  I pondered using Myth's DVD
> feature and really could find no compelling reason to do so, especially
> considering the DVD player "just works" and you don't have to spend lots
> of time trying to get menus and such working.  If you only want to watch
> the occasional DVD, I say leave well enough alone!  If you want to share
> it to multiple rooms, consider a modulator and remote extender of some
> sort.

for those with HDTV's its nice to have mplayer or Xine's scaler do its magic
to scale the DVD. From my research I find these software scalers to be as
good/better than dedicated hardware scalers with the right filters set.

Well, honestly, I've only looked into mplayer, and since XBMC supports DVD
menu's and uses mplayer it ends up being a great DVD player for outputting to
1080i/720p. Now I just have a DVDA/SACD player....

--
Steve