[mythtv-users] Thoughts please

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 11:26:08 EST 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 04:02, Marty Ravell wrote:
> I have a hidden MythTV box. The wife was pissed at my collection of
> homebuilt amps and cables all over the place so I replaced most of it with
> a MythTV box and moved this, along with my power amp, to a custom built
> cabinet under the floor (timber frame house). The only problem that I have
> with this is that the DVD drive is of course no longer accessible. (To get
> to my Myth box I literally have to go outside, around the side of the house
> and open the cabinet with a deadlock key)
>

> The last component that I have inside (sitting on top of the TV) is a DVD
> player. I would like to get rid of this as well and was wondering if anyone
> out there in MythTV land has come across a similar situation?
>

> I have another Linux box (the house server in another room) which does my
> firewall, mail server etc and I was thinking that I could perhaps setup a
> script on this machine and an NFS share (or similar) so that if we go to
> the video store we could put the disk into this machine and rip it into the
> Myth machine.
>

> My Myth box runs a Hauppauge PVR-350 and given my experiences with the
> current framebuffer drivers I am leaning towards leaving it using the
> hardware decoder as it does now.
>

> My questions therefore are :
>

> 1.	Can I rip a DVD in such a way as to produce nuv files that the 350's
> hardware decoder can display?
> 2.	Is it possible to setup a separate machine so that I could use the
> DVD Playing capability of Myth? (I'm thinking perhaps that I could setup a
> separate backend install on my home server?
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Regards
>
> Marty

How about putting the DVD drive in an external USB case, buy a really long USB
cable and put the drive near the tv and run the USB cable with the video out
cable going to the tv?

as to your two questions, the answer is yes, but I'm not familiar with the
specifics so I'll let someone else answer.

--
Steve