[mythtv-users] fine tuning live

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Dec 16 04:06:35 EST 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 09:53, Martijn Morriën wrote:
> You could use MythWeb at the same time (or from another machine,
> probably most convenient) to update the finetune values and then
> switch channels while watching LiveTV, this should show direct
> results.
> Mass updating is also possible with MythWeb. You can change all
> finetune values for all channels in one go. Another option is to
> directly update the database (but I have no experience in that).
>
> If you know the exact frequency of the channel you can calculate the
> finetune value. Explanation can be found here
> http://www.mythwiki.de/index.php/HOWTO_Mythfilldatabase (German
> explanation) based on that information I created an online calculator a few
> months ago (http://www.escay.nl/mythtv/frequency2channel.php)
Speaking of tuning,  the first time I tried mythtv, I first tried kdetv (kde
viewing program for kde) to make sure the capture card is working.  Kdetv can
scan for channels and most of the time, it can discover the name of the
channel.  How hard can it be put this in mythtv?  It also based on qt.
So you don't have to enter any of the frequency's because mythtv can scan for
them.

The same goes for finetuning.  My tv can do this.  It scans for a channel and
then you can see it finetuning for that frequency.  I think it just tries
some frequency's, measure the signal quality and/or the image quality and it
picks the best frequency it found.

Stef