[mythtv-users] Tuning Woes

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 22:22:39 EST 2005

On Dec 15, 2005, at 19.09, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I'm also trying to update the firmware, but I think I'll
>> try  that again after I do the hard disk replacement
>
> Try the cable first.  It's a cheaper fix.  I was helping a friend
> with a bad disk in an LVM vol group and we figured out that the
> disk must be bad because the BIOS couldn't even recognize it.  The
> system was running and writing LiveTV data and then just powered
> off.  When he powered on, the disk wasn't recognized.
Well, actually, in this case, it's more expensive for me, seeing as I
*do* have an extra hard disk lying around, but not an extra IDE
cable. But, yes, I do remember having problems with an IDE cable
before on the family PC. However, this PC was not assembled by me,
but came prefabricated, that includes the current hard disk. My guess
is that this hard disk was damaged in transit from somewhere to another.

But I'll see if I can dig up an IDE cable from somewhere, and give it
a try. Either way, I'm going to have to reinstall KnoppMyth I'm
guessing.

> After he bought a new 300GB disk and plugged it in to the existing
> cable, the BIOS wouldn't recognize the new drive.  So, I made him
> swap the cables and the new disk worked--at which point we plugged
> the new cable in to the old disk and it (and the vol group)
> worked.  His (then) $150 replacement IDE cable was an expensive fix
> (but on the bright side, it came with a free 300GB disk we used to
> replace an 80GB disk in the vol group.
>
>> (the perl script for  updating the firmware seems to be on the
>> fritz too, so I'm guessing  something in the whole ivtv package
>> was corrupted).
>
> So, it might actually be the disk issue causing the tuner issue...
> Fingers crossed that the disk issue is easy to fix...
>
>> Perhaps I should  look into using an earlier KnoppMyth package too.
>
> I recommend using R5A26.  R5A22 was an accidental unstable version
> release.  Before that had old versions of ivtv, which may make
> configuration much harder.
Thanks for the advice.